Monday, February 23, 2009

Shape poems




I chose to arrange my poem in the shape of an American Flag because it is a very recognizable symbol of America. The poem is all about what America is and why the country is not what it should be. I figured that the best symbol of America could be the American flag. Well, maybe not the best symbol, but definitely the easiest to make out of words.

I wrote my extra credit poem as a short little love song. The lack of details on what was expected encouraged me to experiment more than I usually would. I used an unnatural pattern, and did not worry to much about the syllables. Of course, I tried to make each rhyming line have close to thee same number, but I liked the words that I was able to use when it was less regimented. Also, I was writing and thought that I could easily change it so that the voice was actually a tree. This is the reason that I choose the tree shape.

2 comments: