Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Project 1


Timothy Baker Reflection

This project is not exactly what I wanted to end up producing. Originally I had wanted to create a 30-second flash animation. I bought the software for animating various types of media just for fun and designing my own pet projects. When I went to use it this week I had trouble, and found out that I was not registering my account and that I could only access a fraction of the features. This was really frustrating and forced me to use the Power Point format. Also I wanted to use my own photos from the North American International Auto Show but I lost the camera and could not use them.
I worked to make the most of with what I had to work. I choose Power Point because it was the medium I was most comfortable with for this first project. In later projects I will see what other forms I can branch out in.
I am a little concerned with the lack of color in the presentation. I was not completely sure how to get the most out of Power Point 2003, as I usually use 2007 and 2008. There was no place that I saw that really stood out to me as needing color in the wording but I did notice how much color was added by the pictures.
I tried to use as much of the techniques mentioned in the book as I could. I tried to use Arial fonts for the titles of all the screens. I also tried to load all of the pictures or fancier texts in the top left corner of the screens. Originally I placed the pictures on the right but then decided to use the books suggestions and I think that it worked better since not everyone is drawn immediately to text. The techniques were new too me. I had learned about putting everything in a left to right and top to bottom order in my Programming class, but other techniques like sameness creates contrast were wholly new to me in creating any type of media. Another that I found extremely intriguing was idea of using all of one style or similar style texts. I am pretty sure that I did a satisfactory job of using extended viewing fonts versus quick view fonts, but I am not positive since I had not even heard of those categories before starting this project. It was harder to use the text book’s plan of asking for audience feed back. It would have been nice and I agree with it most of the time but in this instance it was much too hard.
I am not sure how the citations are supposed to work since this is the first assignment. I also added two pages to the assignment but did not think that would be much of a problem since the two were an opening and then a citation page.
Altogether I think that I did a pretty good job on the assignment. It was definitely a learning experience and I hope that some of the techniques demonstrated will be of use to me when I make other projects.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you added in your post how you originally wanted to do the 30 second flash video. It shows that you wanted to be creative with the assignment. I also liked how you put that you ended up doing a powerpoint presentation because of how familiar you were with the software. Also, I agree with you in that it was the first project assignment, and was hard to tell what you were exactly trying to accomplish. I wish you would of added a little more information from your initial advocation presentation to let readers know what you were exactly trying to advocate about. Overall, I agree with your points in your posts.

    ReplyDelete